Saturday, July 20, 2019

A Day of Service in Domingo Maiz, Veron and Juanillo


As I traveled around many places today it has impacted me so much. Today as I had the opportunity to travel around to different villages and schools to see first hand how they live, it made me realize how fortunate I am. As we picked up the trash in Domingo Maiz, it was amazing to see the children from our Day Camp come out of their very small but well kept homes to help us. Not only that to see them wearing their necklaces we made or even their tie dye shirts. Something so small to us but a milestone for them, but with that I have reached a milestone in my life on this trip. Seeing the Dominican teens again that helped us was incredible. Then as we traveled to the schools it was even better seeing the children and how they learn. Also, I gave a child my dads work gloves that I used and his facial expression was heartwarming. Overall, today went very well and I reached a milestone. My milestone of now knowing to be grateful. Grateful for what's at my fingertips, or having the strong enough water pressure to flush toilet paper, having the ability to have AC when wanted, or even having the clean water, a place to live, or support from my family. Today was more than life changing, but something I will always remember!

Cheyenne Estep, Shenandoah County


Today we visited Domingo Máiz and two schools. It was a very surreal experience and it made me appreciate what we have in the United States much more. They had four classrooms and 480 students, they usually went 50 to a room and there are different students in the morning and in the afternoon. Some didn’t get the privilege of learning on a given day. In the US, we have at most 25 in a room and lots don’t even want to learn. It was also a very eye opening experience in Domingo Máiz. They had very little compared to we do in the US but they are so proud of it because they did it all themselves. They may sleep 5 people to a room in a one room apartment and it’s honestly just crazy. It was an experience I’ll carry with me for the rest of my life.

Andrew Simpson, Culpeper County

















































No comments:

Post a Comment